Friday, January 21, 2011

New Digs

The new January/February Biblical Archaeology Review is out and it has a listing of Holy Land archaeology digs that are accepting volunteers. That is how I went on my first dig at Ashkelon and it was an experience I will never forget. I was one of hundreds of "volunteers" in 1999 who answered Harvard University's ad. Most were students but some of us were post graduate older people who were looking for an experience. One of my room mates was a commercial archaeologist on a "buss man's holiday" and love to dig in the Holy Land.

For some one such experience was more than enough but for others like me there can not be enough. The first time I brushed aside some dirt and viewed an object that had not seen the light of day in over 3500 years I was hooked,

I long to go back and dig again.

No comments:

Post a Comment