Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Digging In Petra Jordan

When I was studying geography in Jr. High School I did a report on Petra the city cut out of the living rock. I was enchanted by my research and made a vow that some day some how I would go there. And I did!


My first visit to Petra was in 1999 while I was digging at Ashkelon with Harvard University. We took weekly "Tell Tours" and were hosted by the archaeologist of those digs. On week five we went to Petra in Jordan and were were the guest of Brown University who gave us a tour of their dig and some back ground of Petra. It was awesome! Then we were allowed wander the city for the rest of the day.


In the picture below I am standing in front of the Treasury - miss named by early archaeologist. It was actually what we would call a funeral home. 

Me in Petra at last!


This is a close up of the top where the remains of an urn can be seen. I say remains because some people thought it contained gold coins so they shot at it hoping to break it open and let the coins spill out. Turns out it was solid rock.
I have over a thousand pictures of Petra so stand by for MORE!

1 comment: